February 07, 2018

Finding Joy in Misery



否极泰来 (pǐ jí tài lái) is a Chinese saying that roughly translated as "out of the depth of misfortune comes bliss" or "the good emerges when the evil has reached his extreme." Which in essence isn't that different from some of the English sayings like "after rain there's a rainbow."


Im writing it is because lately I have learn a lot of meaning in it. It's something I tell myself whenever things are not going well. It is a continuous reminder that most things in life have a cyclical pattern. That a low is followed by a high, and that a high is often followed by a low.


So what will happen is whenever Im going through times of despair or misery, instead of ignoring the pain, I own it. Just fully acknowledge that you are feeling shitty and give yourself the right to feel that way. After all human is human, we are not machine but a human being that is capable of feeling a wide range of emotions - the good and the bad.


But at the same time,I always remind myself that its all cyclical and that whatever is gonna happen next, probably its gonna be better than what I am experiencing now. So while I am embracing my pain, theres also sparks of excitement in me for what is going to come next. Chances are that in a few days from now, I know I will definitely smile again and be happy.


Anticipating what is going to come next helps to put the pain I am feeling now into perspective and mitigate it. Shifts my mental energy into an area of forward-looking anticipation and hope. Sure, Im going through some tough shit, but hey, a lot of amazing things are soon going to crash into my life and that's kinda exciting.


And sadly 😞 is when someone starts to think reversely. Meaning that when one goes through times of happiness, instead of being present in that moment but start worrying about whatever bad thing might happen next - merely on basis of the cyclical pattern of life. 


Basically allowing worry to be the thief of joy ummmm... 💔


However, I certainly hope it has a different effect. That one appreciates good times more because chances are those times won't last forever.


We all might be familiar with that saying, but I doubt we all are capable to stare into misery and defy it with a smile and a sense of excitement for all the good things that are going to follow. But that's exactly the way I hope to deal with my own moments of misery going forward. 😊💓

You Might Also Like

1 comments